Qualifications: Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Distinction) M.S University, Master of Industrial Engineering (High Distinction) National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappali, PhD in Supply Chain Management (9.5/10), Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
Location: Office 4.11, UOWD Building, Dubai Knowledge Park
Telephone: +971 4 2781946
Dr. Sundarakani is an Associate Professor and Discipline Leader for the Master of Science in Logistics program in the Faculty of Business at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD). Previously he was working as an Assistant Professor at UOWD. He has 12 years of teaching and research experience in the area of Supply Chain Management across the various universities including the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee, Hindustan University, Chennai and the National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore and the Chair of Logistics Management in Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland.
He earned a B.Engg (Distinction) in Mechanical Engineering from M.S University and an M.Engg (High Distinction) in Industrial Engineering from the National Institute of Technology-Tiruchirappalli, a PhD in Supply Chain Management from the Indian Institute of Technology-Roorkee, India and a Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship from the Logistics Institute Asia Pacific, NUS Singapore. He has completed research and consultancy projects for the UOW Dubai, EDB Singapore, IBM, DHL, Ministry of Defence Singapore, Dubai Trade, JAFZA, and RTA Dubai. The cumulative value of his research and consulting projects in Singapore was around $2 Million. Since joining UOWD, he has received five university funded research grants totaling AED 60,000.
Dr Sundarakani has published 92 research papers in the form of Refereed Journals: 28, Refereed Conferences: 37, Book Chapters: 12, Book: 1, Periodicals: 7, Industry Reports: 4, Case Study: 1 and Book Review: 2. His research outcomes have appeared in international Journals such as International Journal of Production Economics, International Journal of Technology Management, Computers In Industry, Journal of Advances in Management Research, International Journal of Logistics Systems Management, etc. and which are received many citations worldwide. He serves as a supervisor for a number of PhD/DBA candidates, examined six PhD theses and currently serving as a member of the PhD examination panels of three different Universities.
He has won “Research Excellence Award” on two occasions for his research performance at UOWD in 2010 & 2012, received the ‘Highly commended’ Teaching Excellence Award from UOWD in 2015, the ‘Best paper Award’ from IEOM, Bali, Indonesia in 2014, the RTA Appreciation (2012) from the Government of Dubai for sustainable transport strategies, Best Educator Award (2010) from ITP Middle East, ‘Gold medal for Best Case Study’ from IIIE in 2010 and, the prestigious A*Star Fellowship (2006) Singapore, MHRD Fellowship (2003) India, University Rank (2000) and College First Rank (1997-2000) India.
Dr Sundarakani has previously served with the editorial board of Journal of Advances in Management Research, Emerald and also with the International Journal of Agile Systems and Management, Inderscience. He also serves as a regular reviewer for the EJOR, IJPR, IJPE, JAMR and SCM Journals. He is a member of the AIB (USA), ORSI (India), POMS (USA), EuROMA (UK) and INFORMS (USA). Currently he is on the “Supply Chain Asia’s” Executive Committee member in Singapore and the Executive Board member for SCLG Middle East in Dubai.
Dr Sundarakani is teaching students on both undergraduate and postgraduate level. He has been very successful in teaching the quantitative and modelling subjects with deep critical analysis and high level of academic engagement using relevant logistics industry cases and live demonstrations. The student’s evaluation of his teaching has been consistently very high and many students have admired his style of teaching in their feedback form. He was awarded ‘Highly commended’ Teaching Excellence Award from UOWD in 2015, nominee of (UOW Australia) Vice-Chancellors Award for Continuous Contribution to Teaching and Learning in 2016.
Recent Journal publications include:
- Sundarakani, B, Rukshanda, K., Piyush, Jain, V., (2019) Designing a Hybrid Cloud for a Supply Chain Network of Industry 4.0: A Theoretical Framework, Benchmarking: An International Journal, Emerald Publications, (Accepted and in-press), Vol.26, Issue 3
- Ioannis, M., Sundarakani. B. and Iakimenko, V., (2019) Time-based responsive logistics for a maintenance service network: A case study of an automated teller manufacturer, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, Emerald Publications, Forthcoming, Vol.25, Issue 2., DOI: 10.1108/JQME-01-2018-0002
- Shqairat, A, and Sundarakani. B (2018), An empirical study of oil and gas value chain agility in the UAE, Benchmarking: An International Journal, Emerald Publications, Vol.25, Issue 9, pp.3541-3569.
- Sundarakani, B, Abdul Razzak, H., Manikandan. S. (2018) Creating competitive advantage in the global catering supply chain: a case study of flight catering, International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, Taylor and Francis, Vol.21, Issue 5, pp.481-501
- Sundarakani, B., (2017) Transforming Dubai Logistics Corridor into a Global Logistics Hub, Asian Journal of Management Cases, SAGE Publications, Vol.14, Issue 2, pp.135-156.
- Younis, H., Sundarakani, B. and Vel, P., (2016) The impact of implementing green supply chain management practices on corporate performance, Competitiveness Review: An International Business Journal, Emerald Publications, Vol. 26, Issue 3, pp.216 – 245.
- Sundarakani, B., Sikdar, A and Balasubramanian, S., (2014) System dynamics based modeling and analysis of greening the construction industry supply chain, International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp.517–537.
- Hosie, P., Sundarakani, B. and Tan, A.W.K., Aleksandra Kozlak (2012), Determinants of fifth party logistics (5PL) service providers for supply chain management, International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.287-316
- De Souza, R., Mark Goh, Sundarakani, B., Wong T, W., Wu Yong, Keith Toh, (2011) Return on Investment Calculator for RFID Ecosystem of High Tech Company, Computers In Industry: An International Journal, Elsevier Science, Vol 62, Issues 8-9, pp. 820-829.
- Sundarakani, B., R. De Souza, M. Goh, Wagner, S and Manikandan, S. (2010), Modelling Carbon Footprints across the Supply Chain, International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier Science, Vol. 128, pp. 43–50
Recent Conference publications include:
- Kamarudeen, N. Sundarakani, B. and Nabhan, M. (2018), Study of Service Operations of Metro: Action research embedded with case study, Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, July 26-27, Paris, France.
- Sundarakani, B., and Ajaykumar, A (2018), Big Data Driven Supply Chain Architecture Design for Operational Excellence, Published in the proceedings of 25th Annual EUROMA conference, 23-25 July 2018, Budapest, Hungary.
- John, J., Manikas, I. and Sundarakani, B. (2018), Analysis of operational efficiency of a meat processing supply chain, 27th International Purchasing and Supply Education and Research Association (IPSERA) conference held in Athens, Purchasing and supply chain management Innovation, Greece, March 25-28th 2018, Selected best paper for Agricultural Economics Review Journal.
- Sundarakani, B., (2017), Study of Safety aspects in handling Hazardous material transportation in the middle east, 22nd ISL, Ljubajana, Slovenia, 9th – 12th July 2017, Published in the proceedings of 22nd International Symposium on Logistics, ISBN: 9780853583196, pp. 451-458
- Al Seyagh, N. and Sundarakani, B., (2016), Developing a framework for the Diversification Mechanism and Financial Liquidity of the Construction Firms in the UAE, 42nd Annual Conference of the European International Business Academy, Vienna University of Economics and Business, December 2-4, 2016
- Sundarakani, B., (2016), Designing A Framework And Research Model For The Logistics Service Providers Innovation And Adoption, 21st ISL, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 3 – 6th July 2016, Published in the proceedings of 21st International Symposium on Logistics, ISBN: 13 9780853583172
- Sundarakani, B. (2015), 'How would a proactive supply chain alignment prevent diabesity', POMS 26th Annual Conference, Washington, DC, 2015,
- Behzadi, G. and Sundarakani, B., (2014), Practical ABC intelligence solution for Quadratic Assignment, 4th International conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM), Bali, Indonesia, Jan 7-9, 2014 (Fetched best paper award)
- Sundarakani, B. and Behzadi, G., (2013) A conceptual research design of the Logistics Service Providers innovation mechanism in the gulf region, INFORMS Annual Meeting 2013, Minneapolis Convention Center, USA, October 6–9, 2013
- Sundarakani, S., Sikdar, A, Subramaminam, S. and Wagner, (2011), Greening the Construction Industry Supply Chain Using System Dynamics Approach, EUROMA 2011 conference, July 3-6, Cambridge University, UK., Published in the conference proceedings
Recent Book Chapters Include:
- Balasubramanian, S. and Sundarakani, B., (2019), Assessing the Green Supply Chain Ecosystem of Construction Industry Supply Chain in the UAE, Book title: Green Supply Chain Management for Sustainable Business Practice, Book eds., Mehmood Khan, IGI Global, USA, ISBN 9781522506362, Chapter 4, pp.83-108
- Manikandan, S., Sundarakani, B. and Pereira, V. (2019) Skill development: Role of Industry-Academia dyadic collaboration for sustaining the construction supply chain in Rural India, Book, Chahal, H., Periera, V, and Jyoti, J., (eds), Sustainable Business Practices for Rural Development - The Role of Intellectual Capital, In: Palgrave Macmillan, UK
- Manikandan, S and Sundarakani, B., (2018) SUN rises from RANBAXY: Supply chain strategy of an Indian pharmaceutical company, Book eds Sikdar, A and Perera, V., entitled Business and Management Practices in South Asia: A Collection of Case Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, UK. ISBN 978-981-13-1398-1, pp. 259-279.
- Sundarakani, B., Akvan, S and Jasser, L., (2017), Operations Strategy and Strategy Transformation at Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA) Balakrishnan, M.S., Immanuel and Michael, I. Eds., Actions and Insights: Business Cases from UAE, UAE public policy perspectives, Emerald publishing Limited, Howard House, UK. ISBN: 9781787147157, pp. 191-210.
- Sundarakani, B. (2017) Emirates Airline operations – globalization effect: A case study, Book edited by, Jose Arturo Garza-Reyes, Vikas Kumar, Juan Luis Martinez-Covarrubias, Ming K. Lim, “Managing Innovation and Operations in the 21st Century”, CRC and Taylor & Francis Press, Taylor & Francis Ltd, FL, USA. ISBN: 9781138214729, pp. 71-76.
- Manikandan, S. and Sundarakani, B., (2015) Ranbaxy’s Market Entry Strategy: An Indian Pharmaceutical Industry In United Arab Emirates, appeared in the text book of “Strategic Marketing: Creating Competitive Advantage” by Doug West, John Ford and Essam Ibrahim to be published by Oxford University Press, 3rd Edition., USA, ISBN: 9780199556601
- Sundarakani, S., De Souza, R. and Goh, M., (2012), A Case Study of Singapore’s Automotive Supply Chain: Preliminary Analysis and Findings, Book Title: Cases on Supply Chain and Distribution Management: Issues and Principles, Book eds, Garg, M and Gupta, S., M. IGI Global, USA, pp. 200-253.
- Hussein, M and Sundarakani, B. (2011), Using Information Technology for more Effective Supply Chain Management: Insights from the UAE, Standard Chartered Book on Maximising Business Opportunities in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, PPP Publishers, Hong Kong, Edited by Kerry. N., pp.191-198
- Sundarakani, B., de Souza, R., Goh, M., van Over, D. and Manikandan, S. (2010), Sustainable Supply Chain in Globally Integrated Networks, Springer Book “Enterprise Networks and Logistics for Agile Manufacturing” Lihui Wang and S. C. Lenny Koh, ISBN: 978-1-84996-243-8, pp. 191-205.
- Sundarakani, B. (2010), Economic Zone World (EZW) Supply Chain Strategy, Balakrishnan, M.S., Jayashree, P. and Michael, I. Eds., Actions and Insights: Business Cases from UAE, Emerald Publishing: UK.,ISBN: 9780857243157