Dr Okey Peter Onyia
Business and Management
Dr Okey Peter Onyia is Associate Professor of Marketing at the University of Wollongong in Dubai. He obtained his PhD in Marketing Research from the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Dr Onyia employs a lot of real-life industry case studies and also draw from his 18 years of industrial practice in his teaching. He encourages students to always support their analyses of theoretical concepts with a linkage to real-life examples from the industry.
He joined UOWD in 2015 with extensive teaching and research experience, most recently as an Associate Professor of Marketing and Chairman of the Faculty Research Committee at the Business School of Lindenwood University in Saint Charles City, Missouri, USA. Prior to that, he was a lecturer in Marketing Communications at Bournemouth University, UK and a Marketing Tutor at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
He has also been the recipient of a number of prestigious research awards, including Emerald Group Publishing’s Outstanding Paper of 2014 Award for a research paper titled “Towards a Universal Model of Internet Banking Adoption: Initial Conceptualization” (Harrison, T., Onyia, O.P, and Tagg, S.K.), and a Best Paper of Conference award for “Conceptualizing a Model of Retail-Customer and Web-channel Readiness for Internet Banking Adoption: Part 1” (Onyia, O.P, Harrison, T., and Tagg, S.K.) presented at the International Conference of the Academic and Business Research Institute (AABRI) in Las Vegas, USA in 2012.
Before joining UOWD in 2015, Dr Onyia had had extensive teaching and research experience, the last of which was as an Associate Professor of Marketing and Chairman of the Faculty Research Committee in the School of Business and Entrepreneurship at Lindenwood University in Saint Charles City, Missouri, USA. Prior to that, he was a lecturer in Marketing Communications at Bournemouth University in the UK. Before joining the academia, Dr Onyia had also enjoyed 18 years of successful industrial career in the global Marketing Communications industry, reaching the level for a CEO in a thriving advertising agency.
- Ph.D. (Marketing and Research), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK 2009
- PG-Cert. (Higher Education Practice), Bournemouth University, Bournemouth, UK 2009
- PGD (Research Methods in Business and Management), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK 2007
- M.Phil. (Business Administration), Obafemi Awolowo University (University of Ife), Ile-Ife, Nigeria 2004
- MBA (Marketing Management), University of Lagos, Lagos Nigeria 1995
- B.A. Hon. (Theatre & Communication Arts with Honours), University of Calabar, Calabar Nigeria 1985
Publications include but not limited to:
- Sundarakani, S., Onyia, O. P., and Singhvi, S. (2021) “Fast, Furious and Focused Approach to COVID 19 Response in the UAE: A Case Study of Financial Resilience in the Supply Chain Industry,” Special Issue of the Journal of Financial Services Marketing on the Impacts of Covid-19 Pandemic Vol. 1, May 2021 (Forthcoming).
- Abu-Salim, T., ElBarachi, M., Onyia, O.P., and Sujith, M. (2020), “Effects of Smart City Service Channel- and User-Characteristics on User Satisfaction and Continuance Intention,” Information Technology & People, Vol. 34, No. 1, March 2020.
- Abu-Salim, T., Onyia, O. P., and Mustafa, N. (2019), “Gender in Service Quality Expectations in Hospitals: The Role of Cognitive and Affective Components,” International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences (December 9, 2019 – DOI - 10.1108/IJQSS-08-2018-0074).
- Abu-Salim, T., Onyia, O. P., Harrison, T., and Lindsay, V. (2017), ‘Effects of Perceived Cost, Service Quality, and Customer Satisfaction on Health Insurance Service Continuance.’ Journal of Financial Services Marketing, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 173- 186.
- Harrison, T., Onyia, O. P., and Tagg, S. K. (2014), ‘Towards a Universal Model of Internet Banking Adoption: Initial Conceptualization.’ International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 32, No. 7.
Hi research areas and interests include Financial Services Marketing; Online Consumer Behaviour; Electronic Services Marketing (smart-city technology adoption); Service Quality (SQ) in the Healthcare, Logistics, and Insurance Industries; Cross-national and Cross-cultural Consumer Behaviour; Pedagogics of Peer Assessments in Business Education.
Dr Onyia is a member of numerous prestigious institutions such as Marketing Management Association, International Advertising Association, British Academy of Management, Academy of Marketing, and the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria.
He also is an Associate member in Nigerian Institute of Management as well as Nigerian Institute of Public Relations.
- Marketing Management
- Services Marketing
- Marketing Strategy
- International Marketing
- Marketing for Strategic Decisions
- Strategic Marketing Management
- Foundation Marketing for PG Business Studies
- Marketing Principles
- Consumer Behaviour
- Tourism Marketing
- Research Methodology
- Marketing Communications & Branding
- Advertising Theory & Practice
- Social Psychology