Dr Charbel Tawk
Engineering and Information Sciences
+971 4 278 1938
Dr Charbel Tawk is an Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) and has a Ph.D. in Soft Robotics, University of Wollongong, Australia, 2019.
Dr Tawk enjoys teaching his students through various ways to engage them and motivate them to undertake challenging research projects during their undergraduate and graduate studies. In addition, he makes sure to bring research prototypes to the class from the laboratory for demonstration and also sometimes flips the class where the students can watch the lecture online before coming to the class and then during the lecture, they can solve problems together. He also organizes visits to ccompanies and factories, to meet and engage with people in the industry.
Prior to joining UOWD, Dr Tawk worked as an Associate Research Fellow at the University of Wollongong in Australia and the ARC Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science (ACES) from 2019 to 2020. He has published several peer-reviewed articles in high-impact journals and conference papers. Also, he won and received 10 awards in several competitions and travel scholarship challenges, and his research work and stories were highlighted in several news articles.
- Ph.D. in Soft Robotics, University of Wollongong, Australia;
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering (High Distinction), Lebanese American University, Lebanon.
- Tawk C, and Alici G. (2021). A Review of 3D-Printable Soft Pneumatic Actuators and Sensors: Research Challenges and Opportunities. Advanced Intelligent Systems: 2000223.
- Sencadas V, Tawk C, Searle T, and Alici G. (2021). Low-Hysteresis and Ultrasensitive Microcellular Structures for Wearable Electronic Applications. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 13: 1632-1643.
- Tawk C, Zhou H, Sariyildiz E, in het Panhuis M, Spinks GM, and Alici G. (2021). Design, Modeling, and Control of a 3D Printed Monolithic Soft Robotic Finger With Embedded Pneumatic Sensing Chambers. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 26: 876-887.
- Tawk C, and Alici G. (2020). Finite Element Modeling in the Design Process of 3D Printed Pneumatic Soft Actuators and Sensors. Robotics 9: 52.
- Sencadas V, Tawk C, and Alici G. (2020). Environmentally Friendly and Biodegradable Ultrasensitive Piezoresistive Sensors for Wearable Electronics Applications. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 12: 8761-8772.
Dr Tawk’s research areas are 3D printed soft actuators and sensors, soft grippers, soft prosthetic hands, soft and hybrid wearable devices, soft haptic devices, and hybrid human-machine interfaces.
- Machine Dynamics
- Automotive Dynamics
- Modelling of Engineering Management
- Systems Reliability Engineering