Dr May El Barachi
Head of School
School of Computer Science
Engineering and Information Sciences
- School of Computer Science Staff Profiles
- Dr May El Barachi
Dr May El Barachi is the Head of School of Computer Science at University of Wollongong in Dubai. An Egyptian Canadian Computer Scientist, and Smart Technology Expert with degrees in Telecom. Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Computer Science, Dr. El Barachi possesses width and breadth of knowledge in the areas of Computer Science, IT, and Engineering.
Using her knowledge and experience, she conducts large scale multi-disciplinary projects in the areas of BioTech, Smart Transportation, Smart cities, Inclusion & Innovation. With collaborators spanning the globe, and a large group of researchers under her supervision, she tackles challenging real-life problems using a combination of legacy and emerging technologies. In addition to academic collaboration, she is involved in industry collaborations with the telecom and health industries, and was able to raise more than 4 Million Dirhams in the last 5 years to support her research work. An active researcher and a published author in the area of smart technologies, Dr. El Barachi has shown leadership and cultivated a research reputation of international standing over the years.
During her teaching career, Dr. El Barachi developed and taught a variety of IT and computer science/engineering courses which included: Distributed Systems, Information and network security, networking, mobile computing, green computing, penetration testing & ethical hacking, innovation & entrepreneurship, and emerging technologies. In her role as head of school, she spearheaded the design and development of an innovative and industry-centric master program in digital transformation. She also revamped the content of computer science majors, and developed a strategy for immersive learning and enhanced first year experience.
Dr El Barachi employs a student-centric, pragmatic teaching approach in which students are encouraged to actively engage in the teaching/learning process, and subjects’ relevance are highlighted using real life examples, systems, and case studies. Striving to motivate students and use innovative teaching techniques, Dr. El Barachi puts the emphasis on offering her students a highly interactive and friendly learning environment. She oversees the participation of her students in interactive workshops and academic competitions as well as advocates the use of blended learning strategies and the involvement in inter-disciplinary course projects.
In addition to being a Head of School and an Associate Professor, Dr El Barachi is a consultant and certified trainer in a number of emerging technologies, including: Blockchain, Big Data, Data Science & predictive analytics, Internet of Things, and Artificial Intelligence. Dr. El Barachi is also a public speaker who participates in large-scale public events and speaks about technology-related topics, such as: Digital transformation, smart cities, emerging technologies & their related opportunities, demystifying complex technologies, and professional training in alignment with the industry needs.
- B. Sc. In Electronics and Communication Engineering – Arab Academy for Science and Technology
- M. A. Sc. In Computer Engineering – Concordia University, Canada
- Ph.D. in Computer Science – Concordia University, Canada
- EC Council Certified Ethical Hacker v8 Training, 2014
- CISCO CCNA Certified Instructor, 2011
- CISCO IT Essentials Certified Instructor, 2011
- IBM Big Data Engineer - Mastery Award for Educators, 2018
- IBM Blockchain Developer - Mastery Award, 2018
- IBM Artificial Intelligence Analyst - Mastery Award, 2019
- IBM Enterprise Design Thinking Practitioner, 2020
- IBM Blockchain Developer - Instructor Award, 2020
- IBM Blockchain Practitioner - Instructor Certificate, 2021
- IBM Data Science Practitioner - Instructor Certificate, 2021
- IBM Artificial Intelligence Practitioner - Instructor Certificate, 2022
- IBM Cloud Business Practitioner - Instructor Certificate, 2023
A selection of Dr El Barachi’s recent publications include:
- Vahid Maleki Raee, Amin Ebrahimzadeh, Roch H. Glitho, May El Barachi, and Fatna Belqasmi, “E2DNE: Energy Efficient Dynamic Network Embedding in Virtualized Wireless Sensor Networks”, Accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and Networking, 2023. (Impact Factor 3.88 – Grade A Journal).
- Sujith Samuel Mathew, May El Barachi, and Mohamed Amin Kuhail, “CrowdPower: A Novel Crowdsensing-as-a-service Platform for Real-Time Incident Reporting”, The Journal of Applied Sciences, MDPI, 12, no. 21: 11156, 2022. https://doi.org/10.3390/app122111156. (Impact Factor 2.838)
- May El Barachi, Taghreed Abu Salim, Munyaradzi W. Nyadzayo, Sujith Mathew, Amgad Badewi, Joseph Amankwah-Amoah, "The Relationship between Citizen Readiness and the Intention to Continuously Use Smart City Services: Mediating Effects of Satisfaction and Discomfort", Journal of Technology in Society, Elsevier, Vol. 71, 2022, 102115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2022.102115. (Impact Factor 6.789 – Grade A* Journal).
- Taghreed Abu Salim, May El Barachi, Ahmed Alfatih D. Mohamed, Susanne Halstead, and Nasser Babreak, “The Mediator and Moderator Roles of Perceived Cost on the Relationship Between Organizational Readiness and the Intention to Adopt Blockchain Technology”, Journal of Technology in Society, Elsevier, Vol. 71, 2022, 102182, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2022.102108. (Impact Factor 6.789 – Grade A* Journal)
- Imene Ajala, Shanaz Feroze, May El Barachi, Farhad Oroumchian, Sujith Mathew, Rand Yasin, Saad Lutfi, “Combining artificial intelligence and expert content analysis to explore radical views on twitter: Case study on far-right discourse”, Journal of Cleaner Production’s Special Issue on Progress in Smart and Sustainable Technologies in Energy Transition, Volume 362, 2022, 132263, SSN 0959-6526, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.132263. (Impact Factor 9.297 – Grade A* Journal, top 1% in field)
- Payyazhi Jayashree, May El Barachi, and Feras Hamza, "Practice of Sustainability Leadership: A Multi-Stakeholder Inclusive Framework", The MDPI Sustainability Journal, Vol. 14, No. 10, 2022. (Impact Factor 3.251 – Grade A* Journal)
- May El Barachi, Sujith Samuel Mathew, Farhad Oroumchian, Imene Ajala, Saad Lutfi, and Rand Yasin, "Leveraging Natural Language Processing to Analyse the Temporal Behavior of Extremists on Social Media", Journal of Communications Software and Systems' Special Issue on Smart Environments (JCOMSS), 2022.
- Faouzi Kamoun, May El Barachi, Fatna Belqasmi, Abderrazak Hachani, "A smart spontaneous crowd evacuation system for large multi-exit exhibition centers based on IoT", International Journal of Ubiquitous Systems and Pervasive Networks (JUSPN), volume-16, Issue 2 (2022), PP 55 - 62.
- Ahmed Saleh Bataineh, Jamal Bentahar, Rabeb Mizouni, Omar Abdel Wahab, Gaith Rjoub, May El Barachi, “Cloud computing as a platform for monetizing data services: A two-sided game business model”, Accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management (TNSM), IEEE, 2021. (Impact Factor 4.195 – Grade A* Journal)
- May El Barachi, Manar AlKhatib, Sujith Mathew, Farhad Oroumchian, “A Novel Sentiment Analysis Framework for Monitoring the Evolving Public Opinion in Real-Time: Case Study on Climate Change”, Accepted for publication in The Journal on Cleaner Production’s Special Issue on Progress in Smart and Sustainable Technologies, Elsevier, No 312, pp. 1-12, 2021. (Impact Factor 9.297 – Grade A* Journal, top 1% in field)
- Sujith Samuel Mathew, Manar AlKhatib, May El Barachi, “A Deep Learning Approach for Real-Time Analysis of Attendees’ Engagement in Public Events”, In the Journal of Communications Software and Systems, IEEE, Vol. 17, No 2, pp. 106-115, 2021.
Dr El Barachi is an active researcher and a published author in the area of smart technologies. Over the years, Dr. El Barachi has shown leadership and cultivated a research reputation of international standing. Dr El Barachi has a keen research interest in next generation networking and has 15 years’ experience in the field with a strong focus on Smart and Resource Efficient Systems. Her current research interests include mobile phone sensing as a service, wireless sensor networks / cloud integration, Internet of Things, network function virtualization (NFV), dynamic resource management, network intelligence and adaptation, enhanced cloud computing models, network and cyber security, context awareness, and quality of service.
Using her knowledge and experience, Dr El Barachi conducts large scale multi-disciplinary projects in the areas of BioTech, Smart Transportation, Smart cities, Inclusion & Innovation. With collaborators spanning the globe, and a large group of researchers under her supervision, she tackles challenging real-life problems using a combination of legacy and emerging technologies. In addition to academic collaboration, she is involved in industry collaborations with the telecom and health industries, and was able to raise more than 4 Million Dirhams in the last 5 years to support her research work.
She is currently involved in several research collaborations with international universities (in Canada, the UK, and Lebanon) and local industrial partners, in areas varying from cyber security, to cloud computing and Network Function virtualisation (NFV), to e-healthcare, and smart cities. She is also involved in several collaborative projects with local and international industry partners, including Rogers Canada, Du, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, the UAE Ministry of Health, and Talk5.
Dr El Barachi was actively involved in ABET & CAA accreditation activities, curriculum review and development, students and faculty recruitment and the organisation of various conferences. She chaired various committees including the Undergraduate Curriculum Review Committee, the students’ affairs/recruitment committee and has been a member of the CAA steering committee, member of the ABET accreditation task force, member of the college research committee and member of the graduate program committee. Furthermore, she received the exemplary faculty award on two occasions (in 2013 and 2015), as a testimony to her excellent performance in the areas of teaching, research, and service.
- Procedural Programming
- Python programming
- Information systems
- Distributed Systems
- IT security
- Advanced programming
- Programming fundamentals
- Software development methodologies
- Graduation Project
- Networks and communication
- Introduction to programming and problem solving
- Information security basics
- Communication networks II
- Networks and telecommunications
- Introduction to IT and systems
- Mobile Computing
- IT Entrepreneurship
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- Green Computing
- IT Infrastructures - Emerging Technologies
- Game Development
- Network and Internet security (PG)
- Penetration Testing and Advanced Hacking Techniques (PG)
- Innovation & Design (PG)
- Research methods (PG)
- Dissertation (PG)
- Professional practice (PG)
Remember to attend our next Open Day on Saturday, 17 June 2023.
Join our experts to learn more about our degrees, and how you can enrol at UOWD in our
Autumn intake which starts on 18 September 2023.