Support Services for International Students
If you’re an international student, studying at UOWD gives you the unique opportunity to get an outstanding Australian education from a top-ranking university in a thriving international business hub.
To ease your transition to life in the UAE, we have a dedicated International Student Program that provides enhanced support services when you first arrive and during your early weeks at UOWD.
Even before you arrive, we can provide support during the application process through our network of overseas representatives, and we have a simple visa sponsorship program that allows you to secure your residency in the UAE before arrival.
Enrolling in a program at UOWD has provided a platform for hundreds of international students to go on and secure employment in Dubai and to make their life in this exciting city.
From the application stage right through to arrival, induction and day-to-day studies, we recognise the needs and requirements of international students and have a range of support services to help ensure an enjoyable transition to life in the UAE.
- UOWD arranges airport pick up for all international students, including a meet and greet “Marhaba” service at the airport.
- UOWD is committed to ensuring our international students arriving in the UAE for the first time experience an enjoyable transition from their home country.
- Our Student Services Department (SSD) provides assistance across a range of issues such as orientation to the local area, homesickness, study difficulties, academic concerns, budgeting, health, personal problems, family emergencies and more. THE SERVICE IS FREE and completely confidential.
- UOWD also offers an International Student Mentor Program that connects new international students with experienced international students to provide support in your first weeks and months in Dubai. Your ISP Mentor will provide you with helpful advice, practical solutions and a friendly face to talk to.
- Students are able to work part-time while studying in Dubai.
- Students are able to work at any of the Free Zones located within Dubai’s Creative Clusters – this includes more than 4,500 companies across a wide range of industry sectors including ICT, Media, Sciences, Entertainment, Design and more.
- More information can be found here: https://dda.gov.ae/earn-while-you-learn/earn/students/
UOWD provides a simple visa sponsorship service for students who are not residents in the UAE. This allows you to study and reside in the country for a 12-month (renewable) period, to cover the duration of your program. Please refer to the Student Visa page for further information.
Dubai is an expensive city and the cost of living is relatively high. Living costs will vary depending upon different factors: rent, food, entertainment, transportation and other miscellaneous expenses (visas and residence permits). Choosing student accommodation can often be most cost-effective option.
While Dubai has developed a reputation for the luxury lifestyle, it is possible to live economically if you shop wisely and budget accordingly. Basic products are services are reasonably priced and there are regular sales and promotions on consumer goods. The average cost of some everyday items and services is provided below.
|Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant||40.00|
|Meal for 2 People, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course||300.00|
|McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal)||30.00|
|Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught)||45.00|
|Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)||45.00|
|Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)||4.43|
|Water (0.33 liter bottle)||2.30|
|Milk (regular), (1 liter)||6.43|
|Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)||5.45|
|Rice (white), (1kg)||8.13|
|Eggs (regular) (12)||11.11|
|Local Cheese (1kg)||34.98|
|Chicken Fillets (1kg)||30.83|
|Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat)||39.48|
|Lettuce (1 head)||5.70|
|Water (1.5 liter bottle)||2.32|
|Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range)||60.00|
|Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle)||12.29|
|Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)||21.73|
|Cigarettes 20 Pack (Marlboro)||22.00|
|One-way Ticket (Local Transport)||5.00|
|Monthly Pass (Regular Price)||300.00|
|Taxi Start (Normal Tariff)||12.00|
|Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff)||3.00|
|Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff)||30.00|
|Gasoline (1 liter)||4.26|
|Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline (Or Equivalent New Car)||99,000.00|
|Toyota Corolla Sedan 1.6l 97kW Comfort (Or Equivalent New Car)||76,196.88|
|Sports And Leisure||Price (AED)|
|Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult||277.32|
|Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend)||136.50|
|Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat||45.00|
|Clothing And Shoes||Price (AED)|
|1 Pair of Jeans (Levis 501 Or Similar)||232.58|
|1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...)||207.88|
|1 Pair of Nike Running Shoes (Mid-Range)||299.06|
|1 Pair of Men Leather Business Shoes||303.09|