International students who wish to join UOWD will need to apply for a student visa in order to reside in the UAE for the duration of their studies. Accredited universities and colleges in the UAE, such as UOWD can help secure a visa for their students whether international students or students already residing in the UAE.
Applying for a Visa
To apply for visa sponsorship, the following steps are required. You will need to submit a completed Visa Application Form along with the following documentation to your Student Recruitment Office:
- Clear colour passport copy (with at least 6 months’ validity)
- 2 passport size photos (white background)
- Receipt for visa and tuition fees
- Copy of current visa (if you are inside UAE)
- Copy of offer of admission letter (only for new students)
UOWD student visas (except visit visas) are issued for a duration of 1 year. Students may require multiple renewals during their course of study at UOWD.
Students are advised to have adequate medical/travel insurance in the UAE until their UOWD student visa has been stamped on their passport.
All students on a University-sponsored visa are also required to have a valid Emirates ID card. Please see the Emirates ID section below for further information.
The new visa application process normally takes 7-14 working days and normally applications undergo a security check by UAE government authorities. However, some applications can take up to 1 month or more. Some visa applicants may also be required to submit additional documentation by the UAE government authorities (e.g. attested birth certificate, translated in Arabic).
Student Visa Cost
- 1 year visa (Outside UAE): 7,598 AED
- 1 year visa (Inside UAE): 9,228 AED
The visa fees are inclusive of the below charges:
- Medical Insurance Fees: 1,628 AED
- Visa Maintenance Charge: 2,625 AED (This charge is a one-time payment, which the University may use to meet visa-related expenses that occur throughout your studies at UOWD. You are eligible for a refund of the balance remaining of this charge after visa cancelation)
Cancellation / Renewal of Visas
If you wish to terminate your studies prior to the expiry of your visa, the UOWD sponsored visa will be cancelled immediately and you will need to make arrangements to leave the country or seek other forms of sponsorship.
For more information on this and for details about the visa renewal process, please consult the Visa Sponsorship Procedures.
If you would like to pay for a new visa or renew your visa, please use our online payment portal.
All students on a University-sponsored visa are required to have a valid Emirates ID card. As per UAE immigration rules, student visas cannot be renewed unless a copy of the Emirates ID renewal application form and previous Emirates ID card are provided along with the passport. Students who have been issued a new visa are advised to immediately register for an Emirates ID card and provide a copy of the card to the Registrar’s department.
Please note that Emirates ID cards may not be delivered immediately; therefore a temporary “paper” ID is issued once the registration process has been completed. This copy can be provided to the Registrar’s Office as proof that the card is under process.
Steps to register for an Emirates ID card
Fill in the e-form at any Emirates ID authorised typing centre (for the list of typing centres please visit the EIDA website).
Applicants are not required to attend the typing centre in person.
Upon filling in the form, you will receive an SMS setting the date and place of registration.
You must attend Emirates ID office stated in the SMS to complete the process.
Documents for Registration
To register for an Emirates ID you must present the following documentation:
- An original valid passport
- A residence visa or an entry permit
- Issuance and renewal of ID card for residents (for each year of residence): AED 100
- Issuance of a replacement for damaged or lost card: AED 300
- Change of details that require issuing a new card (updated card expires on the same date as the old one): AED 150
- Application of a mobile vehicle (for individuals, single family, for one day): AED 1000
- Issuance and Renewal of card (urgent service): AED 150
*Fees of registration and card issuance as of September 29, 2011