Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Full-time (4 Years)
Part-time (6 - 8 Years)
AED 248,062.50 / USD 67,592
(VAT 5% inclusive)
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is an advanced postgraduate research degree that develops research skills and provides high achieving candidates with the opportunity to conduct in-depth research in their chosen discipline.
The PhD is a four year degree consisting of 48 credit points of coursework and research training followed by 144 credit points (6 sessions or part time equivalent) research thesis. The PhD program is aimed at candidates who are interested in pursuing their career as an academic or in private and public organisations which focus on research and innovation.
Under the guidance of a supervisory team, consisting of at least two supervisors, students will independently plan and execute a research project that will lead to the production of a substantial thesis, comprising 80,000 words (or equivalent). The program will enable candidates to critically evaluate existing knowledge, which uses research as a tool to explore and answer important questions in their chosen fields. Thus, students completing the PhD will make a significant and original contribution to knowledge in their chosen discipline. They will also be able to communicate this contribution to their peers and the community.
Why you should pursue your PhD degree at UOWD?
The program is designed to support higher degree research (HDR) students to develop their career potential through robust administration and candidate support including training courses, mentorship, and supervision by top academic experts. More specifically, the following points capture some distinctive features of the HDR program at UOWD:
- Develop students’ career potential. UOWD’s PhD program will not only enhance their research skills but will also equip them with additional skills and professional attributes to become the next generation of leading business researchers and academics.
- Mentorship and supervision by top academic experts. All the PhD supervisors are PhD holders, renowned researchers in their respective fields and are recognised globally and regionally for research impact. PhD students can strongly rely on the guidance, mentorship and expertise of their supervisor throughout the whole duration of their studies.
- A University of academic excellence. Study at an accredited international university boasting more than 28 years of academic excellence. Our PhD students benefit from world-class infrastructure and facilities, and a variety of research-related resources.
- Earn a quality Australian PhD degree within a reasonable time. PhD courses are very intense and time consuming. At UOWD, the course length for full-time students is usually between four years, and six to eight years for part-time students.
In order to progress to the research component of the PhD program, students must complete the first year with an average of 65%, including 65% in each subject. Prior to commencing the research component, students will have identified their specific research topic, written a comprehensive research proposal and passed the comprehensive examination.
To qualify for award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, a candidate must:
- Accrue an aggregate of at least 192 credit points
- Achieve an overall minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 65%
- Pass the external thesis examination and fulfil any degree completion requirements specific to the program undertaken
Candidates who hold a recognised Master's degree in a business related discipline. Areas of research available to candidates undertaking the PhD with the Faculty of Business include Accounting, Economics, Finance, Human Resources, Management, Marketing, and Operations.
Applicants must have completed their studies from a recognised tertiary institution and achieved a minimum GPA of 3.3 on a scale of 4.0 (or equivalent).
Relevant research and industry experience will be taken into consideration when assessing applications. However, applicants without work experience will be considered based on previous academic performance and demonstrated ability to complete a Higher Degree by Research program.
All instruction at UOWD is carried out in English and you will need to demonstrate an adequate level of English language proficiency in order to enrol in the PhD program. English language skills are assessed based on a number of criteria including writing skills as demonstrated in your initial research proposal, language skills as demonstrated at the interview stage, and the submission of an Academic IELTS (or equivalent) result with an overall score of 6.5 and a minimum of 6 in each band.
Important Dates & Selection
- Applications open: February 2022
- Deadline for applications: 15 May 2022, applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Shortlisting, interviews and selection: May – June 2022
- Decision letters released: July 2022
- Begin your program: September 2022
For enrolment in the PhD program, the candidates will go through two stages of selection:
- Stage 1: Eligibility for enrolment and application
- Stage 2: Interview of the shortlisted candidates
Stage 1: Eligibility for enrolment and application:
First, you will need to ensure that you meet the admission requirements for the PhD Program.
- Submit the enrolment application
- Submit a three page research proposal where you will demonstrate the:
- Contribution (both theoretical and practical) and uniqueness of your research,
- Alignment of your research topic with the Faculty of Business research areas,
- The proposal should include:
- Introduction/research background
- Short literature review
- Research gaps
- Research question(s) and hypotheses (if applicable)
- Expected results & contribution
- Nominate one primary and one co-supervisor,
- Provide two letters of recommendation.
Stage 2: Interview of the shortlisted candidates:
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview in order to present their research proposal to the selection committee.
Candidates should submit the following:
- Academic Transcripts (Master’s Degree)
- Submit a 3-5 page research proposal that includes Research background; Brief literature review; Research gaps; Research question(s) and Hypotheses (if applicable); Methodology; Expected results & contribution. For more information about the proposal structure, see the enrolment procedures.
- CV with academic qualifications and previous research experience (if any)
- Provide two letters of recommendation with contact details
- Passport Copy
- Emirates ID (If UAE resident)
- Other information for consideration, e.g. research publications (if any).
The PhD is a four year degree consisting of 48 credit points of coursework and research training followed by 144 credit points (6 sessions or part time equivalent) research thesis.
Under the guidance of a supervisory team, consisting of at least two supervisors, students will independently plan and execute a research project that will lead to the production of a substantial thesis, comprising 80,000 words (or equivalent).
- Thesis (Part-Time)
- Thesis (Full-Time)
PhD students at University of Wollongong in Dubai can pursue a career in a University or College, research agency or organisation, or in a specialist research unit of a government or business sector.
The expanding domestic higher education sector is increasingly seeking research-active academics who have doctoral level qualifications and there are a growing number of opportunities for high-level research professionals across all industries.
Accreditation and Recognition
Our PhD program is accredited by the UAE Ministry of Education and is recognised within the UAE, GCC countries and internationally for employment in the private and public sectors.
In addition, the program is quality assured by UOW, which is registered with the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA), the national regulator of the higher education sector in Australia.
Dr Vikash Ramiah
Dr Vikash Ramiah is an Associate Professor at the University of Wollongong in Dubai, and currently teaches International Financial management on undergraduate level and Portfolio Simulation and Financial Strategy on postgraduate level.Read More