Dr Balan Sundarakani
Business and Management
+971 4 278 1946
Dr Sundarakani is an Associate Professor and Discipline Leader for the Master of Science in Logistics program in the Faculty of Business at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) . He earned a B.Engg (Distinction) in Mechanical Engineering from M.S University and an M.Engg (High Distinction) in Industrial Engineering from the National Institute of Technology-Tiruchirappalli, a PhD in Supply Chain Management from the Indian Institute of Technology-Roorkee, India and a Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship from the Logistics Institute Asia Pacific, NUS Singapore.
He has won “Research Excellence Award” on two occasions for his research performance at UOWD in 2010 & 2012, received the ‘Highly commended’ Teaching Excellence Award from UOWD in 2015, the ‘Best paper Award’ from IEOM, Bali, Indonesia in 2014, the RTA Appreciation (2012) from the Government of Dubai for sustainable transport strategies, Best Educator Award (2010) from ITP Middle East, ‘Gold medal for Best Case Study’ from IIIE in 2010 and, the prestigious A*Star Fellowship (2006) Singapore, MHRD Fellowship (2003) India, University Rank (2000) and College First Rank (1997-2000) India
Dr Sundarakani’s teaching style involves Blended Learning and industry engaged teaching. He has been very successful in teaching the quantitative and modelling subjects with deep critical analysis and high level of academic engagement using relevant logistics industry cases and live demonstrations
He has 20 years of teaching and research experience in the area of Supply Chain Management across various universities including the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee, Hindustan University, Chennai and the National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore and the Chair of Logistics Management in Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland.
- PhD in Supply Chain Management (9.5/10), Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Master of Industrial Engineering (High Distinction) National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappali
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Distinction) M.S University
Publications include but not limited to:
- Sundarakani, B., Aneesh, V., and Gunasekaran, A, (2021) Big Data driven Supply Chain Architecture Design and Application for Block Chain in Industry 4.0, Omega: The International Journal of Management Science, Elsevier, Vol.102 (Impact Factor: 5.324) published: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2021.102452 (ABDC: A* until 2019) (ABDC: A)
- Manikas, I., Sundarakani, B. and Madmoune, A. (2021), Integrated Supply Chain Sustainability for Mega Events: An Empirical Study of Dubai Expo 2020, Event Management: An International Journal, Vol.25, Issue ahead-of-print (ABDC: A)
- Sundarakani, B., Pereira, V. and Ishizaka, A., (2021) Robust Facility Location Decisions for Resilient Sustainable Supply Chain Performance in the Face of Disruptions, International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. 32 No. 2, pp. 357-385. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLM-12-2019-0333 (Impact Factor: 3.325) (ABDC: A)
- Albishri, D, Sundarakani, B., Gomisek, B., (2020), An Empirical Study of Relationships between Goal Alignment, Centralised Decision Making, Commitment to Networking and Supply Chain Effectiveness Using Structural Equation Modelling, International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, Taylor and Francis, Vol.23, Issue 4, pp.390-415 (Impact Factor: 2.828) (ABDC: B)
- Sundarakani, B., R. De Souza, M. Goh, Wagner, S and Manikandan, S. (2010), Modelling Carbon Footprints across the Supply Chain, International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier Science, Vol. 128, pp. 43–50. (Impact Factor: 4.976) (ABDC: A* until 2019) (ABDC: A 2020 onwards)
Dr Sundarakani’s research areas involve Contemporary supply chain issues that are challenging logistics industry at present.
Scale-up Urban Farming for City Resilience and Sustainability. July 2017 – ongoing
With PI: Dr.Ioannis Manikas
UOWD Research Grant – AED 15,000
Resource efficient symbiotic solutions for urban food production systems Feb 2018 – ongoing
With PI: Dr.Ioannis Manikas
UOWD Research Grant - AED 25,000
Innovative Schemes for Promoting Distributed Renewable Resources and Electrical Vehicles in Future and Smart grids March 2018 – ongoing
With PI: Dr.Haile Rajamani, Dr. Joel Kennedy and Dr. Ashish Agalgaonkar
UOW Australia and UOWD Global Research Grant - A$. 20,000
Sustainable Value Chain for Expo2020 – Closing the Loop in Expo 2020 Operations Jan 2020 – ongoing,
With co-PI: Dr.Ioannis Manikas
Resilient Agrifood Dynamism through evidence-based policies, March 2020 – ongoing
With PI: Dr.Ioannis Manikas
UAE Grant - AED 7,100,000
He is a member of the AIB (USA), ORSI (India), POMS (USA), EuROMA (UK) and INFORMS (USA). Currently he is on the “Supply Chain Asia’s” Executive Committee member in Singapore and the Executive Board member for SCLG Middle East in Dubai. Dr. Sundarakani has been serving with the editorial board of International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications (Taylor and Francis) Cogent Business and Management Journal (Taylor and Francis), Fortune Business Review Journal (Sage Publications) and previously served with the board of Journal of Advances in Management Research (Emerald Publications) and International Journal of Agile Systems and Management (Inderscience Publications).
Dr Sundarakani has previously served with the editorial board of Journal of Advances in Management Research, Emerald and also with the International Journal of Agile Systems and Management, Inderscience. He also serves as a regular reviewer for the EJOR, IJPR, IJPE, JAMR and SCM Journals.
- Supply Chain Management
- Logistics Systems Management
- Advanced SCM
- Supply Chain Analytics