Dr Namrata Gupta
Business and Management
04 278 1961
Dr. Gupta is an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Business in UOWD. She is an active researcher and has taken on numerous roles in the past years. Currently, she is also serving as the Academic Integrity Officer (PG) – Faculty of Business and is a member of the Academic Integrity Committee. Her areas of specialisation include Accounting and Finance. Dr. Gupta completed her PhD in Management Accounting from Banasthali Vidyapith University, India focusing on “A comparative study of accounting practices in India and UAE with special reference to banking sector companies”.
Dr. Gupta’s vast experience in teaching and administrative roles at international higher education institutions has led her to develop an effective and engaging approach for her students. Placing students at the centre of the learning process enables her to impart knowledge in a manner well suited to today’s millennials. Active participation, topic centric discussions, and case study-based problems enable the students to understand the concepts in depth, thereby ensuring experiential learning.
Dr. Gupta has been an Assistant professor at Heriot Watt University, Zayed University and Ajman University of Sciences and Technology (AUST). She was also the head of Corporate Training – ICE – Outreach of Zayed University. She was also a Senior Lecturer at Emirates Institute of Banking and Financial services and the Head of Placements at Skyline University. Dr. Gupta had also served as the Centre Head and Lead faculty of CIMA at Wigan & Leigh College (UK), Delhi branch campus, India.
Given Dr. Gupta’s technical expertise in the field of accounting and finance, she offers consulting services to various mid-sized firms in UAE and the wider Middle East region. Furthermore, she has industry experience as a former internal auditor, having worked on various audits including the audit for the largest nationalised bank in India.
- PhD in Management Accounting, Banasthali Vidyapith University, India. 2007
- Chartered Accountancy (ACA), The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). 1991
- Bachelor of Commerce Honours (B.Com Hons.), University of Delhi. 1988
Publications include but not limited to:
- Gupta, N. and Mirchandani, A., (2020), “Corporate governance and performance of microfinance institutions: recent global evidences”, Journal of Management and Governance, Vol. 24 No. 4, pp. 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10997-018-9446-4.
- Mirchandani, A., Gupta, N., & Ndiweni, E. (2020), "Understanding the Fintech Wave: A Search for a Theoretical Explanation," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Vol. 10 No. 5, pp. 331-343. https://doi.org/10.32479/ijefi.10296
- Mirchandani, A. and Gupta, N. (2018), "Impact of Ownership Structure and Corporate Governance on the Performance: A Case of Selected Banks in UAE," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, vol. 8 No.3, pp. 197-206.
- Gupta, N. and Mirchandani, A. (2018), "Investigating entrepreneurial success factors of women-owned SMEs in UAE", Management Decision, Vol. 56 No. 1, pp. 219-232. https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-04-2017-0411
- Gupta, N. (2015), "Differences in accounting treatment of Ijarah: a case study of UAE Islamic banks", International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Vol. 8 No. 3, pp. 369-379. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMEFM-01-2015-0009
- Gokah, T., Gupta, N., & Ndiweni, E. (2015), “E-Learning in Higher Education--Opportunities & Challenges for Dubai”, International journal on e-learning, Vol.14 No. 4, pp. 443-470.
Dr Gupta has a keen interest in areas of research such as earnings management, accounting in financial institutions, gender and women studies, agency theory and corporate governance.
Women Empowerment (WE): Establishing a mentoring program for female students to enhance and support their career trajectory
UOWD Internal Research SEED Grant with Dr. Sabiha Mumtaz
Developing authentic online assessments to address academic integrity: UAE based study
UOWD Research SEED Grant with Dr. Sabiha Mumtaz & Dr. Arijit Sikdar
Dr. Gupta is also a member of the Integrity Committee at UOWD and an ACA at the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). She is also an external examiner at University of Cambridge (UK), the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and Global College Malta for various papers.
Dr. Gupta is currently teaching various subjects such as Accounting and Financial Management, Management Accounting II and Introductory Principles of Finance