- Humanities, Social Sciences and Health Staff Profiles
- Dr Ludmil Trenkov
Dr Ludmil Trenkov
Assistant Professor - Media & Communication
+971 4 278 1800
Ludmil Trenkov is Assistant Professor at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD). He is a core faculty in the Bachelor of Communication and Media (BCM) and Master of Media and Communication (MMC) programs. He specializes in Visual Communication, Design Process and Practice, Technology and Startup Culture. He holds and MFA from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California. He also has robust tech startup experience.
Dr Trenkov’s approach in teaching follows an organic path where students are stimulated to rise to their own potential. His core pedagogy emphasizes autonomy, self-reliance, and resourcefulness and the aim of each course is to impar not only essential know-how but also to grow students understanding of the world at large. He believes design is a human-centric discipline, so all courses aim to establish an effective and resolute creation of value to human lives.
Prior to joining UOWD, he was a lecturer in the University of Sharjah, UAE and University of California Long Beach, California and also served as the Assistant Professor in the American University of Sharjah, UAE.
- MFA, Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California
- BA, Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, California
- BA, National College of Photography, Sofia, Bulgaria
- Certificate, Human-Computer Interaction for User Experience Design, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Executive Program, USA
- Academic integrity – a case of bilingual video narrative and awareness creation, EDULearn16, Barcelona, Spain, 2016
- Using process books as a reflective tool for non-native English speakers in studio-based education, Global Education Conference, Los Angeles, California, USA, 2015
- Mobile connectivity and real-time critique in a studio-based studies, Global Education Conference, Los Angeles, California, USA, 2015
- iPad engagement – teaching design by connecting content to technology, EDULearn14, Barcelona, Spain, 2014
- Managing teacher-student interaction via WhatsApp messenger, EDULearn14, Barcelona, Spain, 2014
His research interests focus on Media Design, Innovation and Start-up Culture, Emergent Technologies, and Digital Pedagogy.
Dr Trenkov is a member of the Interaction Design Foundation as well as the Interaction Design Association – IxDA.
- Visual Communication Design courses
- Research Practice and Digital
- Social Innovation