Dr Al Khatib is an Assistant Professor at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) and has a keen interest in Telecommunication Engineering. He obtained his PhD from the University of Sydney, Australia specialising in “Modelling and Performance analysis of wireless communication systems for smart grid communications”.
Dr Al Khatib is very passionate about teaching and feels that mentorship and interaction with students in the course of teaching are some of the aspects that make an academic position so rewarding. His teaching philosophy is concerned with fostering: (1) students’ inquisitiveness and passion for learning, (2) life-long learning, (3) association with the real world, (4) organised study, (5) confidence building, and (6) student and lecturer accountability.
Prior to joining UOWD, Dr Al Khatib held the position of Research Associate in Wireless Engineering at the Centre of Excellence in Telecommunications at the University of Sydney, Australia. Previously he was Tutor and Lab demonstrator at the University of Sydney and taught courses on Radio Frequency Engineering and Wireless Engineering. He was also an Electrical Engineer for the Consolidated Contractors International Company in Qatar.
- PhD, Electrical and Information Engineering, The University of Sydney
- Master of Engineering, Communication and Computer Engineering, The National University of Malaysia (UKM)
- B.Sc. Electrical Engineering, Qatar University
Publications include but not limited to:
- N. Raharya, W. Hardjawana, O. Al-Khatib and B. Vucetic, "Pursuit Learning-Based Joint Pilot Allocation and Multi-Base Station Association in a Distributed Massive MIMO Network," in IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 58898-58911, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2982974.
- O. Al-Khatib, W. Hardjawana and B. Vucetic, "Spectrum Sharing in Multi-Tenant 5G Cellular Networks: Modeling and Planning," in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 1602-1616, 2019, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2886447.
- S. Abraham, O. Al-Khatib, and M.F. Abdul Malek, “Energy-efficient and delay-aware mobile cloud offloading over cellular networks,” in Telecommunication Systems, vol. 73, pp. 131–142, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11235-019-00585-5.
- N. Raharya, W. Hardjawana, O. Al-Khatib and B. Vucetic, "Multi-BS association and Pilot Allocation via Pursuit Learning," 2020 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), Seoul, Korea (South), 2020, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/WCNC45663.2020.9120561.
Dr Al Khatib’s research interests include wireless communications and networking with current emphasis on wireless signal processing, IoT, machine learning for next-generation wireless networks, unmanned aerial vehicles, and small cell/heterogeneous networks.
University of Wollongong Dubai (UOWD) Research Grant Scheme: 2020
University of Wollongong Dubai (UOWD) Research Grant Scheme: 2018
Global Challenges Award, UOW:UOWD Research Collaboration Fund: 2018
Dr Al Khatib is a member of Institute of Electrical and Information Engineering (IEEE), member of IEEE power and Energy Society (PES), member of IEEE communication Society (ComSoc), and member of Engineers Australia.
- Data Communications
- Communication Systems
- Digital Signal Processing
- Digital Hardware
- Signals and Systems