- Faculty of Business Staff Profiles
- Dr Alison Thirlwall
Dr Alison Thirlwall is an Associate Professor for the BBA and Bachelor of Business degrees (all specialisations) in the Faculty of Business at the University of Wollongong in Dubai. She is the winner of the Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning (OCTAL) 2021 and the Teaching Excellence Awards 2019.
Dr Thirlwall obtained her PhD from the University of Waikato in New Zealand (a triple accredited business school), specialising in workplace bullying in New Zealand institutes of technology and polytechnics. She also holds an MBA from the Open University (also triple accredited) and a BA in Business Studies from the University of East London, both based in the UK.
Her research interests revolve around the management of workplace conflict and its implications in a range of international settings.
Prior to joining UOWD in 2012, she taught the MBA and subjects in bachelor degrees at Emirates Aviation College, Dubai. She has worked at managerial levels in the public transport and higher education sectors, and she is a qualified adult educator and trainer. In her previous role, she taught management disciplines including organisational behaviour and human resource management, international business, and strategic management. She has extensive international experience, having worked in the UK, New Zealand, Malaysia, Fiji and the UAE.
- PhD “Workplace Bullying in New Zealand Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics: Prominence, processes, and emotions”, The University of Waikato, New Zealand.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Open University, United Kingdom
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, University of East London, United Kingdom.
- Thirlwall, A., Kuzemski, D., Brunton, M., Baghestani, M., Brownie, S., (2021). “Every Day is a Challenge”: Expatriate acculturation in the United Arab Emirate, International Journal of Cross Cultural Management. Manuscript ID is IJCCM-20-0116. ABDC ranked B.
- Al Muala I & Thirlwall A (2021) Workplace Bullying and Arab Culture: Evidence from Jordan. In: D'Cruz P. et al. (eds) Asian Perspectives on Workplace Bullying and Harassment Handbooks of Workplace Bullying, Emotional Abuse and Harassment, vol 3. Springer, Singapore.
- Megheirkouni, M., Thirlwall, A. and Megheirkouni, A. (2020), "Entrepreneurial leadership in Middle East sport businesses: The impact of gender differences in cultural values", Gender in Management, Vol. 35 No. 2, pp. 167-188. https://doi.org/10.1108/GM-01-2019-0006
- Kuzemski, D., Brownie, S., Brunton, M., Thirlwall, A., (2021). "I Speak a little Arabic but…The Art and True Presence of Nursing in a Cross-Cultural Context", Journal of Clinal Nursing Manuscript ID JCN-2021-0269 Impact factor:1.97.
- Brunton, M, Cook, C, Kuzemski, D, Brownie, S, & Thirlwall, A, (2019). Internationally qualified nurse communication—A qualitative cross country study. Journal of Clinal Nursing. 2019; 28: 3669– 3679. https://doi-org.ezproxy.uow.edu.au/10.1111/jocn.14968 Impact factor:1.635.
- Mawdsley, H. & Thirlwall, A., (2019). Third-party interventions in workplace bullying: A neoliberal agenda? Employee Relations, Vol. 41 Issue: 3, pp.506-519. https://doi-org.ezproxy.uow.edu.au/10.1108/ER-09-2017-0216. ABDC ranked B. Impact factor: 1.903.
- Mawdsley H., Thirlwall A. (2019) Trade Unionists as Actors in the Workplace Bullying Scenario: A Really Harsh Lesson. In: D'Cruz P. et al. (eds) Pathways of Job-related Negative Behaviour. Handbooks of Workplace Bullying, Emotional Abuse and Harassment, vol 2. Springer, Singapore. Online January 2020.
Her research interests include workplace bullying and adult teaching.
Adapting Education in Times of Crisis and Beyond: Turning expats into experts
UOWD Research Award 2020 - AED10,000
UOWD Research Grant Scheme 2013- (Batch 2)
The role of cultural competence, values and world views in facilitating clinical practices of internationally qualified nurses into health organisations in the United Arab Emirates.
UOWD Research Grant Scheme 2013- (Batch 2) - AED 15,000
- Dr Thirlwall is a professional member of the Chartered Management Institute (UK), and the International Association of Workplace Bullying & Harassment (IAWBH). She is also an active member of The Human Resources Forum, based in Dubai.
- MGNT978: Cross Cultural Management
- MGNT920: Organisational Analysis
- MGNT322: Learning and Development in Organisations
- MGNT205: Recruitment and Selection
- MGNT201: Organisational Behaviour
Remember to attend our next Open Day on Saturday, 29 April 2023.
Join our experts to learn more about our degrees, and how you can enrol at UOWD.