Dr Osama Al-Hares
Finance and Accounting
- School of Business Staff Profiles
- Dr Osama Al-Hares
Dr Osama Al Hares is an Associate Professor at the University of Wollongong in Dubai. He serves as Director of Postgraduate Programs. He obtained his PhD from the University of Manchester (Manchester Business School), UK.
Dr Al-Hares has a broad range of experience in teaching Financial Accounting, Reporting and Analysis; Accounting for Decision Making; Managerial and Cost Accounting; Auditing; Entrepreneurial Finance, Financial Management; Creating Business Plan; and Corporate Finance. He believes that student engagement and motivation are the keys to understanding and consequently learning. These are accomplished through using engaging activities, authentic assessments and industry-focused approach.
His research interests include Financial Performance; Corporate Valuation and Value Relevance; Emerging Financial Markets; Financial Strategy, Earnings Management, Strategic Management Accounting; Accounting Disclosure Practices; Sustainability Reporting and Environmental Finance.
He has had several articles published in peer reviewed international journals, as well as numerous conference presentations.
PhD in Accounting and Finance, Manchester Business School, The University of Manchester, UK.
- Saleem, K., Al-Hares, O., Khan, H. and Farooq, O., “FAANG Stocks, Gold, and Islamic Equity: Implications for Portfolio Management during COVID-19”. Risks 2023, 11(1), 19.
- H Pham, V Ramiah, H Le, N Moosa, O Al-Hares, “The effect of the royal wedding on the UK stock market”. Cogent Economics & Finance 10 (1), 2022. Pp. 292-307
- HUR Khan, WB Khidmat, O Al Hares, S Awan, K Saleem, “How do Independent Directors View Carbon Information Disclosure? Evidence from China”. Frontiers in Environmental Science, Vol 10, 2022. Pp. 1-13
- Al-Hares, A. and Al-Hares, O., ‘The Impact of Corporate Governance Mechanisms on Risk Disclosure”. Corporate Ownership & Control, 17(4), 2020. Pp. 292-307
- Khan, R., Khidmat, W.B., Al-Hares, O. and Muhammad, N., “Corporate Governance Quality, Ownership Structure, Agency Costs and Firm Performance. Evidence from an Emerging Economy”. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 13(7), 154, 2020, Pp. 1-33.
- Huy, P., Al-Hares, O., Ramiah, V. and Moosa, N., “Measuring the Effect of the North Korea-U.S. Summit on the South Korean Stock Market”. Cogent Economics and Finance, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2019. Pp. 1-22.
- Moosa, N., Al-Hares, O., Ramiah, V., and Saleem, K., “Environmental Considerations and the Financing of Healthcare: Evidence from Sixteen European Countries”. Corporate Ownership and Control, Vol 17, No. 1, 2019. PP. 181-195.
- AlHares, A., Ntim, C., Al-Hares, O., and Al-Abed, R., “Frequency of Board Meetings and R&D Investment Strategy: Evidence from OECD Countries”. Theoretical Economics Letters, Vol. 8, 2018. Pp. 3016-3033
- Saleem, K., and Al-Hares, O., “Measuring the Market Efficiency of Energy Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFS)”. Theoretical Economics Letters, Vol. 8, 2018. Pp. 1247-1256.
- Al-Hares, O., and Saleem, K., “Islamic Banks Financial Performance and Implications of Basel III Standards in the GCC: An Empirical Analysis”. Review of Economics & Finance, Vol. 1, 2017. Pp. 80-97.
- Saleem, K., Al-Hares, O., and Ahmed S., “Financial Integration and Portfolio Diversification: Evidence from CIVETS Stock Markets”. Theoretical Economics Letters, Vol. 6, 2016. Pp. 1304-1314.
- Al-Dabbouse, N., AbuGhazaleh,N., and Al-Hares, O.,“The Effect of Audit Quality and Audit Committees on Goodwill Impairment Losses”. International Journal of Accounting and Financial Reporting, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2015. Pp. 48-62.
- Haddad, A., AbuGhazaleh, N., and Al-Hares, O., “The Implied Cost of Equity Capital in the Jordanian Industrial and Service Companies”. International Journal of Accounting and Finance (IJAF), Vol. 4, No. 3, 2014. Pp. 240-260.
- Al-Hares, O., AbuGhazaleh, N., and El-Galfy, A., “Financial Performance and Compliance with Basel III Capital Standards: Conventional Vs. Islamic GCC Banks”. Journal of Applied Business Research (JABR). Vol. 29, No. 4, 2013. Pp. 1031-1048.
- Al-Hares, O., AbuGhazaleh, N., and Haddad, A., “Value Relevance of Book Value, Earnings and Dividends: Kuwait Evidence”. Global Finance Journal. Vol. 23, No. 3, 2012. Pp. 221-234.
- AbuGhazaleh, N., Al-Hares, O., and Haddad, A., “The Value Relevance of goodwill impairments: UK Evidence”. International Journal of Economics & Finance (IJEF).Vol. 4, No. 4, April 2012. Pp. 206-216.
- Al-Hares, O., AbuGhazaleh, N., and Haddad, A., “The Effect of ‘Other Information’ on Equity Valuation: Kuwait Evidence”. Journal of Applied Business Research (JABR), Vol. 27, No. 6, Nov./Dec. 2011. Pp. 57-69.
- AbuGhazaleh, N., Al-Hares, O., and Roberts, C., “Accounting Discretion in Goodwill Impairments: UK Evidence”. Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting (JIFMA)-[ISSN1 0954-1314], Vol. 22, No. 3, Autumn 2011. Pp. 165-204
His research interests include financial performance, corporate valuation, earnings management, accounting disclosure practices, sustainability reporting and emerging financial markets.
The Role of Female Academic Directors and Stock Price Crash Risk During COVID-19: Evidence from Listed Firms in Emerging Markets of GCC: 2019 - 2020
UOWD Research Grant Scheme
The Impact of Blockchain Technology on Service Systems Design: An Exploratory Study in Smart Dubai Government: 2018 – 2019
UOWD Research Grant Scheme
Empirical Analysis of Corporate Governance Practices in the GCC Region: 2016 – 2017
UOWD Research Grant Scheme
Dr Al-Hares has established a reputation as a renowned financial consultant for several prestigious International and GCC corporations. He is an expert in Corporate Restructuring; Financial Planning, Analysis and Modelling; Banking and Financial Services, Capital Markets; and SME financing. His professional memberships include the British, American and European Accounting Associations.
- Accounting for Managerial Decision Making
- Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Business Innovation Plan
- Entrepreneurial Finance
Remember to attend our next Open Day on Saturday, 17 June 2023.
Join our experts to learn more about our degrees, and how you can enrol at UOWD in our
Autumn intake which starts on 18 September 2023.