- School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Health Staff Profiles
- Dr Noor Hasbi Yusoff
Dr Noor Hasbi Yusoff is an Assistant Professor for Media & Communication at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD). He situates himself within the Visual Communication Design specialization and teaches a plethora of courses in the Bachelor of Communication and Media (BCM) courses. He earned a Doctor of Philosophy in Media and Communications from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University. He specializes in user experience design, social semiotics, visual cultures and calligraphy.
Dr Noor is an artist and educator who strongly believes in the symbiotic relationship between cooperative learning methodology and digitalization of traditional pedagogical strategies. He strives to create a safe, relevant and inclusive learning environment where all students feel accepted and are encouraged to think creatively and critically. He believes that the ancient doctrine of ‘only the like can know the like’ is relevant concept to harness and expand the process of actualizing the possibilities of the intellect, both for himself and his students.
Dr Noor current research interests include the practice-based approach to understand intellectual identity, social semiotics and visual cultures. His recent conferences in Finland and Japan allowed him to further explore hands-on creative practice with critical view of culture-based intellectuality. Recently, his academic and creative practice have been acknowledged by the Dubai Government with the presentation of the UAE Golden Visa status.
Prior to joining UOWD and within a span of 20 years, Dr Noor was an academic at Monash University, RMIT University, Curtin University (Dubai), American University in the Emirates and Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education. He also taught in IB Schools both in Australia and the UAE.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Media & Communication), RMIT University
- Masters of Teaching, Monash University
- Graduate Diploma in Multimedia, Monash University
- Bachelors of Applied Science (Information Technology), RMIT University
- Diploma in Electronics, Computer and Communication Engineering, Singapore Polytechnic
- “Understanding the Malay Intellectual Identity: An Explorative Study of Malay Muslim Intellectuality and Social Semiotics.”, Conference Proceedings, The Kyoto Conference on Arts, Media & Culture (KAMC2021) Japan, Nov 9-12 2021. ISSN: 2433-7544 (Online) ISSN: 2433-7587 (Print)
- “Understanding UAE’s Intellectual Identity in the Cyber Islamic Environment: An explorative study of Muslim Intellectuality and Social Semiotics.”, Conference Proceedings, The International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) Tampere, July 12-16 2020. Chair in the Identity Politics and Digital Panel.
- “The Letter from Prince Mansur”, Conference Proceedings, Refashioning Myth: Poetic Transformations and Metamorphoses, An International Conference, School of Culture and Communication, The University of Melbourne October 2-3 2008
These are the current research activities and creative practice in progress.
Journals and Conferences:
- "Challenges and Tensions in Enacting Culturally Responsive Pedagogy – A Case Study in Teaching IB Visual Arts at an Islamic School in Australia", Journal of Research in International Education (Under Review)
- “New Media and Educational Paradigm – An Indigenous Perspective”, International Journal of Educational Research (Final Edit)
- “Gamification of Media Courses in Higher Education in Australia and the UAE - A Paradigm Shift in Applied Andragogical Strategies”, Journal of Research in International Education (In Progress)
- A Social Semiotic Analysis of Singapore Malay Television Drama Distopia, Journal of Television and New Media (In Progress)
- Jawi Calligraffiti – The Revival
- #visualepistemology – The journey to know through calligraphy
- International Association for Media and Communication Research, Reviewer and Member
- The International Academic Forum (IAFOR), Senior Reviewer and Member
- National Communication Association, Member
- Interaction Design Foundation, Member
- Victoria Institute of Teaching, Registered Teacher
- International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO)
- Introduction to Visual Communication Design
- Interaction Design Fundamentals
- Media Ethics and Law
- Global Media Intervention
- Advanced Screen Media Projects